Out in the Field With Arsenal - Keshava Mysore Photography

Finally, I got some time take out the Arsenal and try it out with a subject, out in the field! The weather was wonderful and the sky had some nice clouds that gave the subject some wonderful texture and depth. This was shot at The University of Notre Dame in NW Indiana, USA. Before I go further, note that I have uploaded all the images at their highest possible resolution, feel free to open them individually to get a better idea regarding the quality of the image. I use a Nikon D750 camera and an iPhone 5S to run the app. For all the Arsenal "SMART" mode images, as per Arsenal help recommendations, I have set the focus mode to "matrix mode" and camera to aperture priority mode so the Arsenal can better "Zero" before setting conditions as per its AI recommendations for best images. If you need more info reg image settings etc, please click on the image and can obtain based on the instruction from my 1st blog on this. All the various stacking modes were tried out with "Whole Scene" focus mode.

Camera Auto Mode

Arsenal "SMART" mode with Single Point Focus

This is slightly better than the in-camera "Auto" mode, there is still a lot of highlights that could be recovered. Also, note that the focus point was set on the spire on the right of the image.

Arsenal "SMART" mode with Four Point Focus

The maximum number of focus points one cans et within Arsenal app is 4. I did use all the 4 points, it took ~180 seconds for the app to focus all four of them and set the proper aperture for all and appropriate exposure conditions. This is still quite long. I hope things only improve from here. I had set the focus points on the spire and dome in the background and their reflection in the water. When compared with single point focus, the image is very good. Well balanced colors, could be slightly warmer. But overall the image is sharp and very satisfactory.

Arsenal "SMART" mode with "Whole Scene" Focus

This mode performed better than I had expected. It still took more than 180 seconds to focus the whole scene, set appropriate settings etc. But overall the results were satisfactory and sharp.

Exposure Stacking "Auto" Mode

In this mode what Arsenal is doing is once you set the exposure bracketing to "Auto", Arsenal will decide if it needs a. stacking and if yes, b. how many stacks. As you can see in the present scene, I didn't expect it to use it at all as the light was quite uniform across the scenery. It indeed didn't use any merging and shot a single RAW image.

Exposure Stacking - 3 Image Stacking

Three images were taken at an interval of 1 EV each, so it took -1 EV, 0 & +1 EV images and stitched them on the device. The whole process took ~1 min. Within the gallery of the Arsenal app these images are labeled as "ES". Please note that it is not yet being written to the SD card yet, hopefully, this will be fixed soon. This image shown here is a .PNG file shared directly from the app. This was not a very challenging scene, so it came out relatively well and satisfactorily! Note that this mode can take 9 images at maximum.

Focus Stacking - 4 Image Stacking

This mode can take up to 20 images and stack them together on the device and give out a single image. I didn't try 20 image stacking, but only 4. It took ~2-3 min for it to finish the entire process. Like I mentioned earlier, it still does not write them into the SD card, but gives a .PNG file that can be directly shared from the app. The image was sharp, though there were not many layers within the image, overall it was satisfactory.  

Long Exposure Stacking - 10 Image

This mode can take a maximum of 30 images. First I tried it with only 10 images. As you can see you can see some smoothing in the water and some streaking in the sky. Again, this is an in-app .PNG image. So, you can't make any judgment about its quality. It took ~2-3 min for doing the merging process (apart from shooting 10 images).

Long Exposure Stacking - 30 Image

Above is the result of merging 30 images on device. It did a good job. But it took ~3-5 min to finish the entire process and did even crash once or twice in between. While I wouldn't be using this to create a long exposure but maybe sometimes I would. 

Powered by SmugMug Log In